Thursday, April 14, 2011

Thursday Meme's!!

Today, April 14th:

1865, Lincoln was shot at Ford Theater and dies the next day.



At approximately 11:30pm, 1912,  R.M.S. Titanic hits the iceberg  and sinks the next morning
This site has lots of interesting Titanic facts, click here.

Jack: Where to, Miss?
Rose: To the stars!
from the movie Titanic



In a related question to last week’s–
I was reading the other day a quote from JFK Jr who said on the death of his mother, that she died surrounded by family, friends, and her books. Apparently, Jackie’s books were very much a part of HER, her personality, her sense of self.
Up until recently, people could browse your bookshelves and learn a lot about you–what your interests are, your range of topics, favorite authors, how much you read (or at least buy books).
More and more, though, this is changing. People aren’t buying books so much as borrowing them from the library. Or reading them on their e-readers or computers. There’s nothing PHYSICAL on the shelves to tell strangers in your home, for better or worse, who you ARE.
Do you think this is a good thing? Bad? Discuss!

It's getting that way with so many things! Remember the stacks of  33 LP record albums and the 45's? I had so many records lining my shelf in my bedroom and then it was cassette tapes. Listening to the music while reading the jacket or the tape insert and looking at the pictures was the best .  You could walk into my room and by looking at my records new I was a typical teenager. As I was growing up, I collected cookbooks, photo albums, coins, stamps but now all of these items are replaced with some sort of electronic gadget. I think this is really sad  because those things were a part of your personality, you life! The feeling of collecting those things and seeing them on the shelf and being able to take it off the shelf and look at it, read it is something you can't get from a square electronic box. Kids today are definitely missing out!
It doesn't matter what new fangled electronic they come out with, I will always collect books, paper and hardcover!! 
Love this question and curious to see what others say.



This next meme is  created by Reading Between Pages



Theme Thursdays

Theme Thursdays is a fun weekly event that will be open from one thursday to the next. Anyone can participate in it. The rules are simple:
  • A theme will be posted each week (on Thursday’s)
  • Select a conversation/snippet/sentence from the current book you are reading
  • Mention the author and the title of the book along with your post
  • It is important that the theme is conveyed in the sentence (you don’t necessarily need to have the word)
    Ex: If the theme is KISS; your sentence can have “They kissed so gently” or “Their lips touched each other” or “The smooch was so passionate”
This will give us a wonderful opportunity to explore and understand different writing styles and descriptive approaches adopted by authors.
The randomly selected theme for this week is suggested by Sharon from Books to the Ceiling.

This weeks theme is  : EMOTION!

Deed SoMine comes from the book Deed So by Katharine A. Russell. If you loved To Kill A Mockingbird you will love this one!

"I should have realized Ed took the lighter and the fluid, I should have checked." Tears poured down my face. "They'd be alive." 
I slammed my hand against the chair back. "He got away from me, and I didn't tell anyone. Not his mother. Not you."

I am enjoying this read! 

Hope you all have a wonderful Thursday!





8 comments:

Amused said...

That's such a good point about the records/cd's and now very few people display their music collection!

Sophia said...

Great snippet for Theme Thursday I really like the looks of your book so look forward to your review. And that's so true about collections, the first thing I do when visiting someone's house for the first time is check out their bookshelf. It tells you so much about the person and whether you have stuff in common

http://sophiasbookblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/theme-thurday-emotion.html

Suko said...

I hadn't heard of Theme Thursday before and wonder if it's new. I may add it to my Memes page.

Natalie, I'm glad you are back to blogging. :)

Sharon said...

Perfect! I could feel the sadness and anger in this one. I love To Kill a Mockingbird, so I'll have to go check this one out. Thanks for the tip.

Mine is here:
http://abookwormsblog1.blogspot.com/2011/04/theme-thursday-emotion.html

LindyLouMac said...

Although I have all the gadgets they will never replace my beloved books.

Jillian said...

i feel like I have not stoppe dby in a while....

Have a great weekend!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Wow, lots of interesting Thursday stuff...loved the facts at the beginning.

I agree with you about how we'll still love our print books, even with the technological advances.

The Girl from the Ghetto said...

I totally think e-readers are the devil. I love nothing more than holding on to my books as I read them. They are conversation starters, works of art and also function as decor.

I dearly miss albums, and hate what my iPod has done to the music industry.